In an effort to tell you things I did closer to the actual events, I’m going to tell you about a project I began and finished!
Last week, I received an invitation to Mrs. Z’s birthday party. It was twenties themed, which meant that I needed a costume. I immediately began looking online for costumes and costume shops. The only shop I could find was Party City. The only costume was a cheap plastic sheath. Several internet searches later, I found a silver flapper costume that I liked. Unfortunately, the only way it would have arrived on time was express shipping. At that price, it would have ended up being nearly $90. Too much for a costume I wear once, possibly twice.
Luckily for me, Bloomingdale’s was having a super sale. Along with two coupons, I managed to get a dress originally priced at $388 for $90. It had no fringe and wasn’t particularly flapperish, but I thought it would work. Plus, I could wear this dress again and more than once. Here’s the dress.
For accessories, I went online and found some sequins that was about the same color as the dress and bought that. Most the pre-made flapper headbands came in black, red, or if you’re extremely lucky, silver. I supposed the silver or black one would work, but they cost $3-5 depending on how fancy you wanted it. On eBay, I found a flower patterned sequins for $8. It said that it would come the 20th or 21st, but it didn’t show up until the 22. The day of the party! I had to quickly hobble together the headband. I added a silk flower that I had made ages ago, but didn’t know what to do with. And couldn’t decide whether to put a feather in or not. A quick text with pictures sent to Ryan and Joanne confirmed that the feather was indeed needed.
For the necklace, I didn’t have time to wait for pearls to show up in the mail. Though stringing beads together is a very simple thing to do, it does take some time. Instead, I hopped into Joann’s craft store and found glass pearls. I wasn’t super happy about the glass because I didn’t have the proper thread for it. I hadn’t thought about how heavy the beads would be when strung together. They fell apart twice, once before the party (about a half hour before it started) and once during the party. I admit that I was playing with it both times. I’ll need to find some better thread for it if I want to sting them together again. What will most likely happen is I’ll reuse them for other projects.
And when all was put together, this is what it looked like!
Next entry, I will tell you about the party.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad